June 9 - 13, 2008

Home - Weather - Route - Who's Coming - Forum

Very brief summary: Jason Nabors

Well I got home about an hour ago and unloaded the gear.
Here is a summary of the events....

Day 1.
left campsite @ 6:00 or 7:00 am (can't quite remember)
High wind 20+,wind overpowered rudder and had to do most of the trip
under jib.I was traveling 5.0 to 5.8 with just a jib through the land
cut.Made camp just in time to see a porpoise going airborne next to
the campsite.Had spam singles for dinner.

day 2.
Left 6:00 am
Sailed ICW on a broad reach and saw many porpoises.
The swam beside and under my PDR.I literaly could have reached out
and touched them.I was joined by kellan who told me that he had
thought he had a blow out on the inflatable kayak but it was a
porpoise blowing out air right next to him.
Tried to make the yacht club entrance but it was dead to wind and
could not get in.Sailed down to Snoopys and had a couple of beers and
meet up with my wife and daughter.
They then returned me to the yacht club where I showered and plotted
the next days course.
Had Whataburger for dinner.

Day 3.
Woke up at 6:00 to @ 25+ winds.
Andrew and I were considering dropping out.We discussed it and said
we didn't come all this way to quit.I jumped in the Sea Flea with
andy and we sailed down to Snoopys to get my PDR.We then sailed down
the ICW to shamrock cove then to DEAD MANS REEF.
I got separated from the both of them and ened up stuck in the mud
for an hour or so.Made it to the campsite just in time to see the
Had V8 for dinner.

Day 4.
Woke up at 6:00 am and sailed the ICW with John and Andrew.
We hit the entrance to San Antonio Bay just in time for the winds to
kick up to 20+.John tacked ahead as andrew and myself battled to get
to windward.We were unable to round the point to Army Hole and
continued to sail the ICW with john joining us.(Thank you for coming
back with us John).
We then entered San Antonio Bay on a beam reach with 25+ winds and
probably 3 to 4 foot swells.Made it to the other side and made camp
10 miles from Port Oconnor.
Had spam singles for dinner.

Day 5.
Woke up at 6:00 and sailed for the Port Oconnor jetty.
Andrew,John,and myself sailing in formation through the jetty, came
about and ran downwind for Magnolia Beach.
Hit the beach with a tearfull ending and let down the sails.
Had fried seafood platter and beer for dinner.
That about sums it up.
Oh ya,if anyone tries to beat this record I will hunt them down.
Sunburn and Spray